Thursday, July 9, 2009

New York State Goes Green on 7 July 2009

Tuesday afternoon/night was an active one meteorologically speaking. Around 2:30PM (when I was getting ready to end my shift at work) intense rain came through the area. Flash Flood Warnings and Severe Thunderstorm Watches covered my area. I even saw very small hail (not large enough though to warrant snapping a cell phone picture). Lightning and thunder also made a very welcome visit to the area.

The appended images show the Storm Prediction Center's forecast and verification (storm reports) for the period around 7 July 2009.











Verification:




The attached base reflectivity images for 0300 - O500 UTC 8 July 2009 show very nice severe cells moving southeastward from New Jersey into New York Metro area.







When I came to work at KTEB yesterday morning, Chris and I immediately began discussing the situation to see if the damage reported was tornadic or straight-line wind related. Speaking with Dan (who was at the other office) we were discussing how it must have been straight-line wind, because the SRM and model soundings were crap.

Here is the Public Information Statement from NOAA NWS OKX:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&product=PNS&issuedby=OKX

Well I should get back to work...and by that I mean looking at METARs and GFS loops until we get a phone call or have to record a radio forecast.

No comments: