Thursday, May 1, 2008

28F Low in Albany? Really?

April is over, and May is here...so why are we having a low of 28F? Last year May was wicked. The last few days I was up here during finals, we had some really nice storms. Everyone was out during the day playing sports or tanning or grilling out.

Most people, however, didn't notice the tremendous cumulonimbus clouds building larger each minute. I remember two instances in early May when the weather was severe: The day of my ATM211 final I was over playing volleyball at Empire Apartments. I noticed a cool gust of air that became sustained, darkening skies, and a balloon launched by the NWS three hours early. Sure enough, we had a raging storm that night.

A few days later, after my Physics 2 final, I was walking back to my room, noticed a wall cloud rushing in, and decided to get the hell inside. Within seconds, we had torrential rain and the lobby of the building was flooded.

...We're reaching that time of the year now, so why the hell don't we have any storms? We're certainly not gonna get it with a daytime high in the 40's and a nighttime low of 28F. We have an approaching storm system, but the instability is neglible and it will most likely be stratiform precipitation. Either way, I'm getting antsy.

No comments: