Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Severe Weather in Staten Island! 6/28 AND 6/29!

Wow! Staten Island finally got some decent thunderstorms these past few days!

The first occurred on Saturday, and I was lucky enough to be home after work. I went down to Miller Field because the radar was looking quite nice. Sure enough, I saw a nice funnel cloud coming over Todt Hill, but then it went away :( Within minutes, the situation went from calm to FUBAR. The rainfall rate was so intense, my wipers on full speed did nothing. I had to pull over to the side of the road and wait for it to back off a bit. I then drove around for a bit in what seemed like a lake. Pictures of this storm can be found here

The second, even better storm system came through Sunday. It was associated with the unusually strong cold front. SPC had us in a nice "SLIGHT" risk area, and it sure did verify. I was at work and managed to go on break literally as the storms began. I noticed constant lightning (numerous bolts of CG), thunderclaps and rolling thunder, and rotation. Then, the rain came...flash flooding seemed to occur instantly, and sure enough we did get hail - NWS confirmed .75" diameter hail in the Annadale section of the island.



And there was an even better-looking funnel cloud, and I was able to snap a picture of this one :)

As you can see, this is a genuine funnel cloud, and the green is the sign of the hail that we had.

This is a group of pictures that I took from Sunday's storm.

No comments: